Our Blitz Diary
Technical Info The Build
With the Blitz 2 now completed I will keep an updated diary on this page. The underlined entry being the most up to date.
The BNE Blitz 2 had been laid up now since Barry's little accident. After that date we used to opportunity to rethink the cooling system, which lead to the repositioning of the radiator into the airflow. We had been having some problems since then with what we thought was the timing but after some investigation I found that the points in the dizzy where not opening. So I re-adjust and it fired first time. The only jobs left to do to get t off-road worthy now where to refix the mudguards and wash off the no year and a half old mud.
As we are currently without a tow vehicle the first drive of 2004 would have to be local. So we pull it off the drive and prepare to set off then.. BANG! and the Blitz is lost in a cloud of steam. One of the begged/borrowed extended radiator hoses I had been given had split down it's entire length, so we pile into the van and are off to Halfords.
It is when we get there that I remember why I needed to beg the one we where using. It was about 3 times longer than any generic hose available off the shelf. We cobble together a fix using 2 short flexible hoses and a length of copper pipe, top up with water and anti-freeze and we are off. The farm tracks we tested of are very hard and with a very slimy covering from the recent sleet. This shows up some of the weaknesses of the low float tyres which tend to skip. Another problem these tyres have is they have too much grip and we do not have enough low down torque, making it difficult to get moving from a standstill in deep mud. A bit of wheel spin might help in these cases.
So we are back. The day after I start the long antisipated rebuild of the Blitz 1, so I hope that will be ready by the summer. Also we have plans to start a Blitz 4x4 in the spring.
Ah the third outing, and the first time that Barry has had a chance to play with his investment! Before we got a chance to get out we did a little work rebuilding and checking everything was tight. The front shock mounts were packed and shaped to prevent any damage to the coilovers the tyre was re-inflated and we were off.
Ben takes the controls for the first lap of the field to check all is well and apparently the K&N has released more power low down in the revs even if it does seem more restrictive!?
All is well so Barry takes the "controls" and makes off around the field, no problems and he seems to be flying (no pun intended). He makes his first lap with a power slide past us continues up the field at full throttle and flips the Blitz onto its roof. The engine cuts out and we leg it up the field to check he is OK.
All is well, a bit of damage to the mudguards and brackets but that is all. There is oil all over and as we try and check the oil level we realise were the leak is from. There is no dipstick! After a little searching it turns up not far from the crash site. We quickly take out one of the plugs to check for oil in the bores and all seems OK. Some new oil is added and the blitz splutters smokely into life. A few laps clears the engine of oil and it starts running clean. Barry has a few more laps, although a little slower than before.
The engine has been running hot so we are in the process of looking at some alternatives, watch this space for a beast of a solution.
Also the diff seems to be taking all the abuse that we can through at it. Even with the biggest tyres available the standard single pinion metro diff is going strong.
On it's second outing, that I was not present for, everything started fine enough. But by the end of the day one of the tie bar bolts had come off the back ad everything went a little pear shaped, the engine had stopped running and one of the rear shocks had developed a crack.
The Shock had cracked due to some misalignment. So it was stripped down and sent to be TIG welded. Not much to these shocks really a bag of gas, a piston some oil, couple of o-rings.
The engine had stopped running due to the amount of dirt that was in the carb. The sock and ram were not up to the job so a K&N filter has replaced them.
Finally finished and the Blitz has it's first off-road jaunt. Everything was going well until I realised I couldn't engage 3rd and 4th gear. After getting back to the field entrance I stopped and found the bolts that hold the gear linkage to the floor were no longer there.
With 2 new bolts fitted, securely fastened with Nylock nuts we were off again. After a good hour and a half the Blitz was getting a little warm but a quick breather and the electric fan cooled it off without a problem.
By this time we had got a little adventurous and the jump between the fields had become too much of a temptation for Ben and away it went progressively faster each time until a little to fast and a bit of a nose dive.
Later as the Blitz was heading towards me across the field I saw the nearside (well left hand as there are no curbs to be near in a field) wheel suddenly gain a massive positive camber. The bottom ball joint had snapped off the hub. We had been warned that we had not used tab washers on the ball joints but had thought that we could check they were tight after each outing. But it hadn't taken long for it to work lose until only a few threads held it and snapped off. One new hub please, never mind we live and learn.
This car belongs to a father and son team who race in the White horse race series. Paul Herbert is the Father who built the car, Simon Herbert is the son who is the driver. Nice colour scheme!
If anyone would like more detailed pictures contact me, all the pictures on this site have been reduced in resolution to save download time.
A series Engine modification is also carried out by Cavant Tuning (Mini Specialists 0191 229 0072) and as a Blitz North East member you will be offered a special rate.